This page is for final year students who have taken an interest in the projects I propose. These will be updated irregularly; if you have questions please contact me in the usual way.
Video Peer Marking System
Design a web-based peer marking system for videos where a class of n number of students can each upload a video URL, then (when made available by the lecturer) peer mark x number of other videos, then receive their feedback from other students (and optionally the lecturer) with the following requirements:
- A backend for the lecturer/tutors to add and modify student info, add and modify questions students need to answer for each video, to limit the number of reviews each student needs to do, to “go live” on marking and feedback reading
- Takes YouTube and/or Vimeo video URLs
- Presents (once the lecturer allows it) the peer marked feedback to the student (i.e. what other students said about their video)
- Presents the student’s feedback to other students (i.e. what they said about other videos)
- Allows a lecturer/tutor to view each student’s feedback to other students
- Allows a lecturer/tutor to mark all videos
- Allows an external examiner to view all student work and feedback
- Is secure, with password protection & secure cookie handling
- (Optional) allows lecturer/tutor to “mark” peer marking and provide student with feedback
- (Optional) allows lecturer/tutor to add a question at the end of the peer marking session for student reflection
- (Optional) allows lecturer/tutor to group students by tutorial group so that each tutorial group only marks others in their group.
Challenges in this project include database design, web development, security, data structures for ensuring fair reviewing of all videos, etc. Language/database/platform up to the student.
Personal Tutoring Booking System
Design a personal tutoring booking system for use at DMU. Tutors are assigned 1 hour a week split into n minute intervals to discuss matters with their students. The system should:
- Allow tutors to specify when they are available
- Allow tutors to specify details of meetings, e.g. location
- Allow tutors to block out normal tutoring time when on holidays or busy
- Allow tutors to modify and delete bookings
- Allow tutors to see what upcoming bookings they have
- Allow tutors to change the length of bookings that can be made
- Provide different options for availability according to ugrad/pgrad term times
- Provide Exchange calendar synchronisation or similar (e.g. ics file production) for tutors and students
- Allow students to book, modify and delete bookings
- Remind students of upcoming bookings via email
- Allow tutors to write notes about the meeting that was had
- Include security and privacy measures implemented from the outset
An example of a simple existing system can be seen at http://liedra.net/appointments Language/database/platform up to the student.
Gamification in Video Games
Games are a massive market, and gamification of games for entertainment as well as “serious games” is increasingly common. What are the challenges and potential impacts of gamification in games? In this project, critically examine gamification in different types of games and conduct some primary research into social expectations and attitudes about gamification to answer the research question.
Virtual Reality Games – are they too real?
Virtual reality is the next big thing – but are they too real, and what might this mean for society? In this project, conduct research into the ethical and social impact of virtual reality games, conduct primary research into social expectations and attitudes about virtual reality games, and come up with some suggestions for developers of these games to ensure their ethical and socially-aware development.
Augmented Reality Games
AR games, such as Ingress and Pokemon Go, are the latest craze. What might be the benefits and disadvantages of AR games, and particularly the large-scale uptake of such games? In this project, critically research the development of AR games, their ethical and social impact, and their benefits as well as disadvantages in society. Conduct primary research looking into the impact AR games have on their players.